Moving can be a very stressful process if you are not prepared. Before you start your physical move, you should organize everything. And when I say everything, I mean everything. If you are lucky enough to plan your next move early, check out this timeline to get yourself organized!
Two Months Prior:
- Minimize your move. Go through every room in your home and decide what you should keep and what you should toss. Don’t forget about the basement, attic, and garage (we know that’s where you keep most of your things.)
- Take Inventory. Take stock of every valuable item that you plan on moving. If you want to take extra precaution, take a picture of your item along with a description.
- Make a Binder. You know all of those records and important documents for you and your family? It’s a good idea to have them in one place so you won’t misplace anything during your move.
- Research. You should decide if you are going to be moving yourself or hire a moving company to help. *Expert Tip- when interviewing moving companies make sure to ask if they are insured, and if they hire full and part time movers rather than temporary movers, and also their rate.*
- Prepare to Pack. Order boxes and other packing supplies. Don’t foregt to order a lot of bubble wrap and tape for your fragile items!
One Month Prior:
- Begin Packing. Start with the items that you don’t frequently use, and clearly label each box with the name of the room it is assigned to and its contents.
- Pick your moving company. If you have decided to use a moving company, now would be a good time to book them. The earlier you book the better so you can secure your ideal date and time for your move.
- Notify utility companies. The last thing you want to do is pay for utilities that you’re not using. Notify each company of the day that you’re moving, and arrange for your new accounts to be started when you arrive in your new home.
One Week Prior:
- Finish Packing. Remember to pack important and sentimental items separately so they are easily accessible. Plan on keeping this box with you personally when you move.
- Confirm Move. Confirm the time the movers will arrive at your home to begin the big move. You will also want to verify your new home address with them and make sure they have your updated contact information.
- CLEAN. To save you time, start cleaning the rooms that you don’t use as often. *Expert Tip #2- have a survival closet containing things for the last cleanup before you officially move out. For example a broom, mop, windex, etc.*
The Big Day:
- Pack your suitcase. Place essential items and clothes for the day/night. You’ll definitely be exhausted after your move, and when its time to get ready for bed, the last thing you’ll want to do is dig through boxes.
- Eat! Are you surprised this one is listed? Its going to be a long day so make sure you eat a healthy meal before your move.
- Initial Walk-through. Take the time for an initial walk-through with your movers. Do a thorough inventory of the items they will be moving. You’ll be glad you did this.
- Lock up. Finally it is time to leave your old home behind. Walk through the entire home and make sure everything is out. You’ll also want to make sure the windows are locked, the lights are off, and all the doors are closed and locked as well.